Saturday, March 3, 2012

SWIMMING

1993 - 1995
I receive provincial colours and compete at SA Championships, schools level. Without any training my swimming is brilliant, and I realise I was born to swim. I never competed after school, until friends of mine encouraged me to start swimming again for the Masters league in 2009.
September 2009
I officially join Amakhosi Masters Swimming Club in East London, and start training for South African Masters Championships.
March 2010
I have to back out of the National Championships due to hip pain and my impending hip replacement.
July 2010
This is hip resurfacing surgery month and I cannot wait to get back into the water.
November 2010
I register for SA Masters Championships, taking place in 4 months, and start a moderate training routine. The swimming makes me feel great, and I start feeling competitive again.
March 2011
I swim breaststroke, backstroke and freestyle. I bring home 6 medals (2 gold; 3 silver). I felt elated and empowered again. Breaststroke was difficult, as it's my strongest stroke and I was not ready to train for it, so the 50m I had swam left me with terrible pain later in the day and the days following. My times were better than my goal times, and this experience has pushed me to go for World Championships and Masters Olympics. Etana promotes my achievements - and sponsored me. Read the article here.


November 2011
I register for 2012 SA Masters Championships and I'm determined to qualify for the 2012 FINA World Masters in Italy in July. I joined Virgin Active to have access to the pool and my training starts.


December 2011
Tinnitus and headaches are preventing me from focusing on anything, and I stop training and stay out of the water.
January 2012
I have my first swim in a month, and later that night I suffer from the most painful headache and my ears feel blocked. I tell the team that I have health problems and that my training is suffering.
February 2012
I find out about the DePuy recall and completely withdraw from Masters Championships this year, blowing my chance of qualifying for the World Masters Championships. I'm devastated because I know I will need to undergo revision surgery, and that I will be out of the 2013 championships as well. I also know that I will miss the 2013 Pan-American Masters in Florida. Not only will my swimming career be set back by 2 years, but I am missing out on all the sponsored travel to Europe and USA during 2012 and 2013. I also wonder if my FINA-approved racing suits will fit me again - after spending R5,000 on them.
I am honestly heart -broken. This is a bitter pill to swallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment